Establishing a new Nominet Registry Advisory Council
Request for views
Over the course of the past year the Board has considered how to create a clearer link between the membership and the company. With this aim, the Board has approved the formation of a new Nominet Registry Advisory Council.
Key features of the proposed Council include:
- Segmental representation to reflect views of the various business models within our broad membership.
- Positions on the Council will be filled through an open member election process on a one member, one vote basis.
- The Council will be able to contribute thoughts and opinions directly to the senior executive management team and Board.
- The Council will also meet with the Nominet UK Board of directors biannually to brief the Board on matters of relevance and importance to the Nominet membership.
- In recognition of the commitment required to be a member of the Council, the positions will be remunerated.
The Board provided a draft Terms of Reference to outline how the Council could operate and its areas of focus. During 1 February and 1 March 2021 we sought member views on the draft with particular interest in the following areas:
- Scope & remit – are the areas outlined appropriate and will they enable Council members to provide effective input to the senior executive management team?
- Segmentation – we feel it is important that the composition of the Council is representative of the different types and scale of the businesses that make up Nominet’s membership. Are the segments identified correct or would a different approach enable more effective representation of the segments of the membership?
- Election and appointment – we recognise that we need to balance the time it will take for the Council to establish effective working relationships with the need to ensure contributors are periodically refreshed. Is a two-year term appropriate and should we consider staggering elections and varying the appointment term of Council members (for the purposes of the creation of the Council) to avoid all members needing to be re-appointed at the same time?
- Compensation – recognising that participating in the Council requires a time commitment from members we propose to compensate Council members. The proposed compensation is £500 per half day. Do you agree with the proposal to compensate Council members and is the proposed approach about right?
- Is there anything else you feel we should consider in constituting the Advisory Council?
Registry Advisory Council Design Group
In March 2021 we announced the formation of a working group to finalise the Terms of Reference and scope of the Council, agree how to segment the Nominet membership to ensure appropriate representation from each constituency, and define the election process and timetable.
The group will also help shape the Council’s initial agenda, which is likely to include a review of expired domains policy and approach to future pricing recommendations. This agenda would then be handed over for consideration to the newly-elected Registry Advisory Council members.
The group has been set up to ensure the Council is fully operational by June 2021. They meet on a regular basis and the notes are published below:
Meeting 4 – 26th April 2021 (notes to be published shortly)
Meeting 5 – 10th May 2021
Meeting 6 – 24th May 2021
After the Design Group’s final meeting, their proposal for the Registry Advisory Council will be presented to the Nominet Board.
If you have comments or questions, please email [email protected]